Sunday, June 10, 2012

Great, Natural & Socially Conscious Skincare Products

The skin is the body's largest organ. It's crucial in eliminating toxins from the body. So it makes sense that what we put on our skin should be pure, as we absorb everything that goes on it. This isn't the easiest of feats, especially for women who wear makeup or those who wish to hide their perspiration.
I'm not saying that you should automatically abandon all of your body care treatments tomorrow if they aren't all natural(unless you want to!), but just to start reading labels and understanding what you are putting into your body. Also, consider where the product comes from and if they contribute to any larger cause.

If you were to look in my bathroom, you'd find a mix of natural products and some unnatural ones too. I'm working on gradually changing these. I do better when I make gradual, not so drastic changes. My journey towards natural, organic living is ongoing and evolving. I'd like to continue to shift more towards using completely natural skin care products. Here's some info on what I've found so far....

Deodorant

This is one product that you should strongly consider buying without an anti-perspirant (or an aluminum free one). Most anti-perspirants contain aluminum which is then stored in the body. Heavy metals in the body lead to inflammation, chronic illness and even has been linked to Alzheimer's. People don't use aluminum pans anymore for a reason. So, why then, can we still have aluminum in our deodorants? A heavy metal detox is a good idea to cleanse of heavy metals in the body. Here's some info on it from Dr. Hyman.

Tom's has an all natural, aluminum free deodorant for men and women and they also give 10% of profits back to charity. Smell good, be healthier, and help the world too. Triple win :)
I've found that there are more mens deodorant only brands (apparently its more ok for men to sweat than women?) Dove has a deodorant only brand too.

You can also embrace your inner hippie and make you own. Here's some great info from Bonzai Aphrodite on how to do this.

Chapstick

You really need to try Eco-Lips. I love it! It's organic, cruelty free, petroleum free, and made my lips super smooth. My favorite kind, the "ecotints" has a little shimmer. There are some for men and women, scented and non scented, and best of all you don't have to worry about putting toxic substances on your skin. I was really impressed that it stayed on my lips for a long time.
There's even a vegan, beeswax free stick too. You can buy an Eco-Lips carabiner so you won't lose it in your bag.
When I use regular chapstick, I've noticed that they make my lips worse. Eco-lips actually healed and soothed my lips after being in the sun all day. My lips are softer after a few days of wearing it.
The company gives a lot of money back to charities with each purchase. When we become more of a conscious consumer, we can  make a difference, and still enjoy great products. Being mindful not only of what you eat, but what you buy, can only have positive effects in your life.

Ayurvedic Skincare



Natural skincare is obviously great, but i thought i would focus on Ayurvedic Skincare. Auromère Ayurvedic Imports is an amazing company that gives 100% of its profits to non-profit integral yoga communities in India and the U.S. WOW!


Ayurveda, literally, “the science of life,” is the ancient system of promoting health and rejuvenation with natural herbs and minerals that began over 3000 years ago. There's a lot more to Ayurveda; it's a fascinating system of healing that is still practiced throughout the world. Deepak Chopra is probably the most famous modern Ayurvedic practicioner. Dr. John Douillard is also an amazing Ayurvedic doctor.
(Click here to take the quiz to find out your Ayurvedic body type (Pitta, Vata or Kapha) and how you can eat and live healthier based on this type.) Auromère also has products that are specifically designed for your Ayurvedic body type.

I've included some pics of some of their products. I especially loved their mud bath mask. It contains 12 potent herbs, 4 types of clay & skin nourishing minerals all noted for purifying and rejuvenating effects. It draws out toxins and impurities and exfoliates. It made my skin super soft.

I also tried the shampoo and pre-shampoo (conditioner oil which surprisingly didn't make my hair oily - but rather very soft), the toothpaste (minty with no gross after taste) and body lotion. All of the products smell very good - of different herbs. There are no harsh chemicals, artificial fragrances, dyes or bleaches.  I really love this product.

Some natural products over promise and under deliver, but I was really happy with these products and feel like you really get a lot for your money, and most importantly, for your health. I hope you'll try out some of these products and please let me know how you like them!

Happy health!


2 comments: