Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The 10% Rule - Self Care is Crucial

When it comes to finances, most of us understand that we should be saving at least 10% of our income when we receive our paychecks. Others suggest saving even more. Bottom line, if we don't save, or pay ourselves, we won't have any money in the future. We will be financially depleted. Most of us will agree that this is not an ideal situation. 

My husband recently related this to self care. One day when I was feeling overwhelmed and tired, he asked me what I have done for myself lately. With work, parenthood, school and other responsibilities, it's easy to forget the importance of taking time to mindfully relax and practice self care. 

Self care is defined as just that - taking care of yourself. It is not selfish to take time for yourself, to exercise, to breath, to mediate, to pray. It is absolutely essential. If you do not apply the same financial 10% rule to yourself, you will, like your finances, become depleted. 

What is the 10% rule? 

My husband described it as giving 10% of your day to yourself. If you work 8 hours a day (480 minutes) - take 10% of that - 48 minutes. 

48 minutes to yourself. Sound difficult? Break it up. Spend 30 minutes on a walk or exercise class, 10 minutes in prayer or silence, 8 minutes mindfully eating (no cell phones or tv!)

If you give and give of yourself to others, and do not pour anything into your emotional savings account - you too, will become depleted. Whether that depletion manifests in illness, fatigue or anxiety and depression, it will manifest. We want to grow old and have an abundant "savings account". We need to preserve our health, our relationships, our strength. If you are constantly giving of yourself, without refueling, you will be left with nothing - an unhappy martyr. 

Self care can also be seen as an investment. Investing is a smart move, financially or emotionally. When you invest in an exercise or nutrition plan, you are not only taking care of yourself, but you are investing in your future. Self care allows you to invest in your relationships. When you are a happier mother, father, wife, husband, employee, boss, friend, you will have fuller, more satisfying relationships. Self care is crucial. 

Think about healthy people in your own life, even religious figures - they all probably take some alone time, to recharge. 

If 10% seems too drastic of a step at first, take baby steps. Start with 5 minutes. Add a few minutes weekly and see how you feel. 

Implementing the 10% rule is my goal for 2012. Join me in my journey towards greater self care! 


Thank you for reading. For more information about implementing the 10% rule in your life or mindful eating, email me at theplantbasedhealthcoach@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. The greatest reason I am a Life Coach, and I believe in coaching, is because I love it! I have seen the results and I know my clients are experiencing break through because of this method of "therapy." Coaching is like nothing you have ever experienced and it is an honor to call myself a coach. There is nothing like watching my clients move forward and create a beautiful life for themselves...that is why I'm a coach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great message. Sounds like you've found your calling! Thank you for your comment.

    ReplyDelete