Wednesday, August 15, 2012

2 Powerful Stress Busting Tips

My background as a therapist is in treating stress and anxiety in young adults, which is why I like to integrate stress management into my health coaching sessions. Throughout my practice, I've learned tips to help people combat the symptoms. Most people struggle with anxiety and stress on a daily basis and never enter a therapist's or health coach's office. It can feel overwhelming, debilitating and frustrating.

Eating healthy, nutritious foods can definitely help manage symptoms, and there are many additional ways to help combat stress and anxiety. It just takes practice and repetition and support. Here are just two of my favorites...

1. Breath work. 
Numerous studies have shown that with the practice of breath work, one can greatly improve their life functioning, happiness and health. Stress is usually an underlying culprit of disease and illness. Helping to manage stress can help both your physical and mental state.

In this video, Dr. Weil describes a simple yet powerful breathing technique. It should be practiced 2x per day and it can take as long as 6-8 weeks to see major results. Challenge yourself to practice this when you wake up and when you go to bed, as part of a daily routine.


2. Self talk awareness. 
Start becoming aware of what you say to yourself. Not only literally, but try to determine what are you saying to yourself in your head. When you make a mistake, what do you think? Are you putting pressure on yourself to be perfect, better, smarter? Are you comparing yourself to others who you think have it all together?
We all get caught up in repetitious self talk  - and often it is self critical and negative. To change this takes practice.
Try becoming aware of one negative self talk phrase. Write it down. Is it accurate? Can you prove it? Write down a neutralizing statement. Then try to write a positive one.

Example: 

Negative thought: I just ate a huge slice of cake and I am so fat and I just gained 5 pounds.

Neutralizing thought (fact): I ate the cake, but it does not have magical powers and did not automatically make me gain weight. I am the same size I was 5 minutes ago.

Positive thought: I will allow myself to have this indulgent moment and enjoy it. I will carry on with my healthy eating plans now. I love my body and am thankful for it.

---

Overcoming and challenging negative self talk can be a powerful way to overcome stress and feel better.

Try them and let me know what you think!

For more information about stress management or to schedule a free consultation (in person or via skype depending on location) to discuss your health goals, please email me at theplantbasedhealthcoach@gmail.com

Note: If you are struggling from overwhelming stress and anxiety, please talk with your doctor and consider working with a therapist. Therapy can be an invaluable tool in overcoming anxiety and often takes only a few sessions to see results. 

No comments:

Post a Comment